New and confused

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Aug 29 10:24:40 UTC 2003

Hi!

"Tae Chong" <ttaec at operamail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to the squeak/smalltalk environment, but not new to programming.  I've had previous experience with C and most recently Perl, but I cannot figure out how to create an application using squeak or smalltalk.  I've downloaded squeak and started it's IDE environment and began the initial tutorial's, and found the workspace very interesting.  So, my question is how does one create an application in the smalltalk environment and run it from a command line - I run most of my programs on a Linux platform.

Don't have much time now but what you can do (and I am not sure any of
the other answers you got mentioned that) to get as close to a normal
app is to take your image, shrink it if you want to, check out the
different ways you can lock it down (see
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagebyname/lockdown) and then you
can start it typically with a shellscript like this:

/usr/local/bin/squeak -headless -memory 32m -xshm mypreparedapp.image &

Well, you get the idea - the example above runs headless. You can also
access the args etc from inside Squeak. For more info search the Squeak
Swiki.

regards, Göran