[Q] stackbased/registerbased VM

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 16 14:32:52 UTC 2003

Yes, Martin Richards BCPL has been nice since the 60s. It was used as
an implementation language at Lincoln Labs on the TX-2 (via Jim
Curry) and then Jim put it on the Novas and then the Altos at PARC.
One of the operating systems (adapted from Strachey) and BRAVO (the
first version of  MS Word) were implemented in BCPL. It also was the
precursor to C at Bell Labs (and was nicer in my opinion).

The BCPL compiler was written in BCPL and translated into bytecodes.
To port BCPL one wrote a simple interpreter to get the compiler
going, and then one could produce optimized code for the new target
machine, etc.

But check out the hardware of the B5000 and Barton's paper on it ca.
1961 to see where byte-coded interpretive VMs came from. Also look at
the KDF9, etc. Several of these systems influenced Richards (I'm glad
to hear that he is well).

Cheers,

Alan