Taking control of parts of Squeak

Roel Wuyts roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Feb 24 12:59:15 UTC 2003

That's OK, I didn't take it personal. Glad to hear that there is no
real problems then (apart from discussing the actual process); thanks
for saying this.

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 12:26 PM, Martin Wirblat wrote:

> Hi Roel and Andreas,
>
> I must admit my post sounds really somewhat naive. Perhaps I reacted
> to fast
> and emotionally on a proposal which I misinterpreted as being a 'Taking
> control' in the sense of having the power to decide without any
> previous
> discussion. I fully agree that there must be a leadership and that
> those
> leaders will be found naturally and automatically among experienced and
> responsible people. So I were glad when Roel posted that he never
> thought of
> bypassing any discussion and I feel sorry if I irritated anyone with
> my post.
>
> regards,
> Martin
>
> "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote on 23.02.2003 23:57:43:
>>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> I don't know how far your experience in the Open Source community
>> reaches
>> but I think that your views are somewhat naive here. First of all,
>> when we
>> refer to "dictatorship" then what we mean is an entity that ultimately
>> decides what is part of the "core release" and what isn't. Such an
>> entity is
>> present in pretty much every Open Source project I know about and
>> currently,
>> it's called "the Guides" in Squeak. You may not see them as a
>> dictatorship
>> but the Guides "hold the keys" and as such are executing the ultimate
>> power.
>> SqC merely didn't delude itself about this fact. And there is no
>> problem
>> with it - at some point either an individual or a group of people has
>> make the ultimate call on deciding some issue.
>>
>> Secondly, it is  always  the case that people have 'special opinions'
>> about
>> the way 'how things go' (as you put it). In the small, it's when you
>> decide
>> to write your own code instead of using someone else's, in the large
>> it's
>> the maintainer of a package at SqueakMap who may or may not decide
>> what
>> enhancements he or she will ship with the next version. Yet, typically
>> there's no problem here either. Quite to the contrary. Literally all
>> people
>> I know who manage some part of a system are VERY responsible people
>> who will
>> rather go over code again to make it fit their expections (and by
>> doing so,
>> often fix some more bugs ;) than blaming someone else or blindly
>> reject it.
>> How comes?! If they don't then (one or more) possible contributors
>> will get
>> so pissed off that they start rolling their own (effectively, this is
>> what
> [...]
Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/