squeak build problems on alpha

Jiann-Ming Su js290 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 6 17:26:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> I include a "configure" script with the sources, generated with
> autoconf 2.57, and which works fine on all architectures and OS that I
> have tested (including a couple of machines running Debian).  I suggest
> you try to use it as-is, rather than building a new one by running
> autoconf locally.

In that case, then squeak-3.7b5/platforms/unix/config/Makefile should
not have the "autoconf" line in it:

  ~/squeak-3.7b5/platforms/unix/config# cat Makefile
  configure : .force
          ./mkacinc > acplugins.m4
          aclocal
          rm acplugins.m4

  .force :

With the autoconf line taken out, I get the following:

  (cd build; ../platforms/unix/config/configure --prefix=/usr)
  checking sanity of VMMaker src directory... okay
  checking build system type... alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu
  checking host system type... alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu

  Configuring Squeak 3.7b-5 (3.7b-5868) for alphapca56-linux-gnu

  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking for suffix of executables...
  checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
  checking for as... as
  checking for GNU as... yes
  checking for ranlib... ranlib
  ../platforms/unix/config/configure: line 2696: AC_PROG_NM: command not
  foun
  checking for ln... ln
  checking "size of int"... "okay"
  checking "size of time_t"... "bad"
  configure: error: "one or more basic data types has an incompatible
  size: g         up"
  make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1

Are the platforms that you've successfully built on 32 or 64-bit
systems?  Also, I noticed you have 3.6 debian packages as well.  Can
these be built with dpkg-buildpackage?  I suppose that may not matter at
this point since 3.7 is where the 64-bit development is being done.

Jiann-Ming Su
"Yeah, Lois, that'll be about as much fun as a lecture on
 				   ontological empiricism."  --Peter Griffin