Some comments (was Back to the issue... (was RE: Squeak

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Mar 3 18:42:11 UTC 2004

traits are more than that. You can factor behavior and compose classes
out of that.
We are working on a complete new clean/robust implementation that we
will be able to load in 3.7.
This way we will have the same power as ruby with mixins.

> Traits (http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Traits/) are first class
> interfaces?  I understand we could have them in Squeak soon if more
> were able to help.
>
> I think it is important to question the assertion: "Smalltalk would be
> harder to write because I would have to be consistent...".  It seems
> very possible that the additional complexity and power of Traits,
> namespaces, components, whatever can be supported by tools that make
> programming easier in every way except backward compatibility.  Not to
> say that writing such tools is easy.

Traits are backward compatible in the sense that you can always see the
class in an old way (without traits). Of course
classes developed with traits will not load in VW. But this is the only
way to progress and invent the future.

Stef