integration of desktop and external applications in 3D Environment

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Nov 18 19:06:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 12:52 -0500, Joshua Gargus wrote:
> When you say "frame buffer" do you mean more generalized GPU memory
> access than just the pixels that are directly displayed on the screen?
> For example, will it be possible to directly map an X window to a chunk
> of memory corresponding to an OpenGL texture?  That would be cool.

Exactly.  That's where we are going, as fast as we can.  We try to be
cool ;-).

It is non-trivial; we really need superbuffers, which aren't fully
implemented in GL implementations, and sharing of X pixmaps as such
superbuffers, along with shared memory management.

Getting X up on top of OpenGL is underway; an Xgl server is at least
limping at this date.

I'm hopeful that sometime in 2005 we'll have all this going for real,
to the point that live video conventional X applications can used
as textures in Croquet or other 3D environments, and textured onto
anything you like, all without leaving the frame buffer :-).

Come help ;-).

> If this is not the case, wouldn't we have to do something akin to the
> kludge you describe in order to map the window onto 3d surface anyway?

The kludge is running today. (or limping; having to copy pixels around
is far from a wonderful thing to have to do).
			- Jim