Squeak on Handhelds, Status, and Morphic problems

Mark Chambers mark at pinesoft.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 16:10:12 UTC 2005

Hi Stefan / All,

You are not alone! I am developing an application in Squeak for a handheld
(Intermec. Futhermore my employer is co-developing the program in java and
using the project as a testing ground for Squeak.

I had little Smalltalk experience before this, so there has been a lot a of
learning to do. It's all good fun, but coming from Visual Basic, it's not a
picnic. On the other hand smalltalk has the novel feature that it actually
does something useful.

The only real set back I've experienced was a random problem with Morphic.
Windows would occasionally get draw with their contents distributed all over
the desktop - i.e. buttons completely off their containing window, or
unclipped text morphs. This was particularly bad running on the handheld (Win
PPC).

I was rescued as my boss had a good mate who is something of a smalltalk guru.
The problem turned out to be a result of event calling. We found that by
waiting for a system cycle to complete, we prevented the mis-drawing:

deferEvent: aSymbol
	"Defer the triggering of the event till the next world cycle."

	WorldState addDeferredUIMessage: [self triggerEvent: aSymbol]

I haven't gotten too far with stripping the image - just adding my code to a
"basic image" and running an abandon sources. Though this is a lively topic
on the lists at present.

As for installs, the Java project uses .cab files to install the app, as these
extract without futher user intervention. I've yet to use these to ship my
squeak version. At present I'm transferring stuff on a flash card.

Good luck with you project!

Mark  (London, UK)