New SqueakMap on the air... and we got problems Houston!

Masashi UMEZAWA masashi.umezawa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 09:40:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

> But as you say, when the base classes evolve like this then a manual
> approach is simpler to adapt. I wonder how the various automatic XML
> seralizers we have could cope with this situation - if they have hooks
> and/or if they use "reasonable code" to instantiate base classes then we
> might be able to use one of those. This one comes to mind:
>
> 	http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/sixx
>
> Hmmm, well, no - not very goood out of the box at least. :) It looks
> kinda neat but... it generated 19Mb of XML for the map, which compressed
> to 900kb. ;) And no, it is too low level and verbose at the same time
> for my taste.

SIXX is designed to be generic, so the generated XML is sometimes too
verbose by default.
But you can also override a few methods for generating customized XML.
You can specify which fields will be stored, and even embed your
compact XML in SIXX.

In 'SIXX-Examples' category, there are some examples for custom serialization.

As for class migration, I have some plan for supporting class mapper in
SixxReadStream. But it will be not done in near future, I admit...

--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]