Good, thorough Smalltalk reference

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Jan 17 12:58:22 UTC 2006

Bert Freudenberg a écrit :
> Am 16.01.2006 um 10:00 schrieb Marcus Denker:
>
>> On 16.01.2006, at 09:21, Cees De Groot wrote:

>>> Yup, but please don't cut trees for it. Documentation in bookform
>>> (even electronic, like PDF) is all but unusable in Smalltalk.
>>
>> I disagree. Of course, once you know how to use Squeak, you don't need
>> a book. But a book woukd be crucial if the goal is to make it easy for
>> new people to learn it.
>>
>> First problem: People who want to discover Squeak won't *believe*
>> that a book is not needed. Don't even try. If the goal is to make
>> Squeak easy
>> to learn, write a book. Kind of like an API to implement. Leran ==
>> Book. No book,
>> no learn.
>>
>> Another thing is that a book should tell you the stuff that is not
>> trivially apparent,
>> like how to use Squeak to find more infos so you don't need that book ;-)
>>
>> It should talk about Design, Patterns, good style, good ideas (e.g.
>> testing), stuff
>> like that. You can't tell me that this is "apparent" from just looking
>> at Squeak
>> (especially as Squeak is mostly an example of what *not* to do!)
>>
>> And trees: That's what it is, even today. I print every paper I have
>> to read,
>> I don't know many people who read pdfs on screen.
>>
>> I don't think that a language can be successfull without having
>> "the book" published. E.g. Ruby's success ouside japan is
>>  unthinkable without the book.
>
> +1
>
> However, for such a book you need a great author, particularly for the
> Good Style part, which should not be a separate part but mention it in
> passing. I'm a bit sceptic the community could create such a thing, I
> rather think some individual would have to take this on. There have been
> people on this list with a great writing style, but it's a major
> undertaking none-the-less.
>
> Something that would be possible for the community might be updating the
> Orange Book for Squeak. That would be particularly helpful to newbies,
> learning the Smalltalk way of interactive development, rather than the
> edit-save-compile-run-crash-cycle they're usually used to. This is the
> basic thing you cannot learn from looking at source code.

I like the idea to adapt the Orange book to Squeak (or to translate it
in french for example) but what about the copyright ?

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##