About the #logChange error in SqueakMap

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Fri Mar 31 06:25:31 UTC 2006

Hi Stephane!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > You ask and ye shall receive. I have asked numerous times for help in
> > maintaining SM but have gotten ZERO replies earlier.
>
> Certainly a miscommunication problem :)

Ehmmmm... no. I have communicated quite clearly but noone has ever
stepped up. Simle as that.
So in short - until someone actually *does* step up - stop complaining
about maintenance.

> > Now apparently you want to help me and great, I am adding you as a
> > co-maintainer and will send you write access to the server.
> >
> >> There is a downside of
> >> "maintained" packages:
> >> Nothing happens with Network for 3 Months,
> >
> > Things did happen a bit (at least *I* did a few fixes) but I didn't
> > get
> > around to "zipping it all up". I think I explained it in detail if
> > someone wanted to do the picking - but if noone does then I will
> > eventually get around to it.
>
> Goran this would be good to have a list of fixes and also beasts to
> beat to death
> and  ask for help.

I posted at least to the Network list (probably can be found in the I/O
team archives today).

> >> we have not seen a Unix vm
> >> build since
> >> three years,
> >
> > That is true and a bit worrying. Do we have any suggestions on who to
> > pick that up? I can picture a few names in my head - but have no idea
> > about interest.
> >
> >> and SqueakMap is broken for 3 Months.
> >
> > "broken" is a bit harsh - yes, it flunks in the current 3.9alpha or
> > beta, but not in 3.8 AFAIK.
>
> I got a lot a problem with the students (may be because they are
> behind firewall)
> But they get this wlkaback on error .... or should throw away the
> squeakmap file.
> I would really like (if possible) to get it fixed in 3.9.

Sorry but I need more specifics than that. :)

> > Now, if/when you fix it btw - make sure that the "SqueakMap" package
> > (the script) picks the correct release of base and also - check that
> > your fix works back in 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 too.
> >
> > Otherwise I will give it a shot (as I think I said the other day)
> > tonight.
>
> Please.... this would be great to have it in 3.9a.

Ok, I sat down last night and spent a few hours (!) on getting SM into
shape for 3.9.
It turned out to be more work if doing it properly. SM has been modified
quite a bit inside the 3.9 image and that code is based on a pretty old
SM version and unfortunately it contained lots of "old removed code" and
tons of modifications caused by automatic conversion of underscore to
:=.

Now - one question regarding that last part: Why did you replace *all*
underscores in the source with ":=" ?!? I saw at least one method in
which underscores *inside my String literals* had been replaced. Ouch.

Anyway, now you know I am working on this and hopefully I will get it
out today or this weekend. I want to update the server to use the same
code as the clients do, I don't want to be out of synch and I definitely
don't want clients running different Squeak versions to use different
code.

regards, Göran