Thoughts from an outsider

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 2 10:56:49 UTC 2006

>From: "Ramon Leon" <ramon.leon at allresnet.com>
>To: "'The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list'"<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>Subject: RE: Thoughts from an outsider
>Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:44:06 -0700
>
>Idea's don't die, Smalltalk's been around 30+ years, it's not going
>anywhere.

But it needs to go somewhere.  To the head of the pack where it can
improve our profession.  Software engineering is joked out by other
engineering professions because of how bad so much of the engineered
software behaves.  I think smalltalk becoming one of the prominant languages
goes a long way to address that.

>Easily fixed...
>
>   * load LookEnhancements
>   * change SystemWindow borderWidth to 2
>   * On windows platforms load WindowsNativeFonts
>   * Preferences windows roundedWindowCorners to false
>   * Preferences menus roundedMenuCorners to false
>   * load eCompletion
>   * load Shout4
>   * hide unused flaps, delete annoying mouse and goofy trashcan
>   * set a nice background graphic (I use mac blue panther graphic)
>
>You're left with a nice professional looking environment with no trace of
>Squeaks default silliness, windows that look and act decent, including
>minimizing and maximizing when you double click the title bar, nice
>intellisense, auto completion and code coloring.

Thanks for that.  Is there a way to turn those changes into a squeakmap
package like they did with the "seaside installer" and "pier" packages?  Or
would it be possible to turn into a theme somehow?

Also, after I did all those things the debugger doesn't highlight code right
anymore.  I can't tell exactly what code is running because the highlight
is in the wrong place.

Has anyone else seen this?