$100 laptop production begins - targeting October 2007

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon Jul 23 15:51:21 UTC 2007

Hi Hilaire,

on Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:50:29 +0200, you wrote:
> Le Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:33:20 +0200, Klaus D. Witzel a écrit:
>
>> BBC has the news @
>>
>> - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6908946.stm
>>
>> Interestingly (and no surprise :) "There's still some software to write"
>
> As a high school math teacher and part time programmer I contacted olpc
> team to see if there were any interst on interactive geometry. From the
> mostly empty feedback I got I can only conlcude there are no interest in
> this particular field, although interactive geometry is part of the
> constructivist paradigm through micro-world implementation.
>
> Now I see there are interest around writing specific games for OLPC, kind
> of behaviourist stuff...
> The project claims to be an educative project and not a laptop one, but
> it
> really looks like a geeks driven project without much knowledge about
> education, teaching, ICT in education and scientific experimentation in
> teaching system.

I went to Potsdam recently and listened to Bert's presentation. The main
part addressed by XO-in-practice is electronic material (e-school books,
so to speak). When some NGO donated hardcopies in the past it can now
donate XO's and e-material. This [e-material] is served from a central
location and whenever the kids walk from home closer to school an
automated update takes place.

So we can assume that teaching material is part of the system. But we
can't say what that material is about. From my experience with
pan-european sites there is quite a difference in terms of culture
(conventions, doctrine, you name it). Perhaps it is so that the XO
material differs from nation/region to nation/region; I wouldn't be
surprised.

<sarcasm> imagine the XO will be given to kids in a nation where a large
fraction of the population does not believe in Darwin's evolution; what
can it be that is then found by their kids on the XO</sarcasm>

/Klaus