[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 18:54:17 UTC 2008

2008/7/7 tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:
> OK. I have to admit to a little puzzlement here. Why does it particularly
> matter what the platform for the website is?

+1 Its not matter.

> It's not (currently) a particularly complex site. Hell, it could almost
> certainly be done in RapidWeaver! What matters to those of us outside the
> implementation and care of the site is *the content*. Unless someone is
> proposing some staggeringly interesting form of content that can only be
> done on one particular platform... who cares?
>
> I'm going to claim some requirements here; I'm sure others will add more.
>
> platform issues -
> a) must work with all reasonably common browsers. duh. I mean, nobody
> deliberately tries to exclude viewers, right?

can't see this as platform issue. Its rather a content issue.
A platform issue can be 'be able to answer 10000000 web requests per second'.

> b) must be reasonably easy to work with as a content maker - it's going to
> be run by volunteers and you sholdn'tmake thier life more difficult than it
> already is
> c) must be sensibly secure from crackers. we don't want people scrawling
> pro-java trash all over the front page
> d) must be something that has a plausible lifetime so we don't have to
> change horses

> content issues -
> e) we need to have a clean and attractive design that makes it really easy
> for visitors to work out what on earth the site is about

I had a chat with my old co-worker which is a web-designer to help up
in this regard, and i got preliminary agreement that she will help.
But since we didn't decided yet about platform, i can't tell her to
start working :) And i suspect that she forgot about it already.
Life is for motion. A stagnation leads to death.

> f) we need to have a really easy way for regular visitors to see what has
> changed
- i think this can be merged with e) , or maybe what is more
appropriate , we can write a brief for a designer.

> g) need a good collection of contemporary screenshots and demo movies and
> tutorials
> h) need a simple way to get to maillist archives in some nicely readable way

i think this issue (or rather proposal) currently can't be addressed
by both platforms, and therefore it will be a web-team work.

> i) have run out if points. go for it.

Yeah, i would put before everything:
0) migrate to new platform , so we can start thinking/working out next moves.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.