Proposal for SqueakCore 4.5 (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New release candidate: 4.4-12324)

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Fri Dec 28 12:58:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene
<edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/28/12 8:37 AM, "H. Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW is one of the Pharo builds a minimal build?
>>
>>   https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/
>

> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo-Kernel-2.0/
>
> Maybe the future is here?
>
> Too bad they focus in 2.0 which is almost incompatible with Squeak and do
> not ends 1.4 which is not
>
> Edgar

Hi,

two weeks ago the list looked much more nicer because we had only one
failing job and less failing tests.

Should Squeak be based on Pharo Kernel and basic packages? There were
several discussions on this topic. Technically it is doable but it is
politically impassable.

Should Squeak have own Squeak minimal image? How to reach that?
Firstly I must say that Squeak Board should anwer this. You and Hannes
are not members of the Board.

I'm ready to help you with several simple conditions: The image will
be official - the next release will simply be this minimal image +
packages, the "full" image will always be produced from the minimal
image by the build server, the patches will be reviewed by two other
persons and integrated quickly. I simply do not want to work on a
project with uncertain future. Because from my point of view it is
redoing of the same work that I did several times and to look into
Squeak is like to look into the past from the remodularization
perspective.

Cheers,
-- Pavel