[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-cmm.823.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:54:36 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 1:42 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eliot,
>
>>> because, as I reported to you days ago, it does not work as designed
>>> and, as a result, has made life in the IDE unpleasant.
>>
>> But I do not think it does.  Because you’re using SavedExtent for both the flag that enables the facility and the value, nilling SavedExtent, or leaving it nil when the class var gets added, the facility is hence off by default.  That is a change from my code which enabled the facility by default.
>
> That was fixed by Tools-cmm.825.mcz.

Thanks!  Sorry, I’m away from my machine today dealing with some urgent family business.  I missed your commit.  I do apologise.

>> A better approach would be to set SavedExtent to a special value, such as -1 at -1, to turn off the facility, or use a distinct flag.
>
> Well, even better, IMO, would be a simple
>
>    shouldSaveExtent
>          ^ SavedExtent notNil
>
> for the intention-revealingness of its selector, but I was trying to
> avoid sparking a method-explosion before we see whether someone wants
> to step up with support you deserve, our VM developer, and re-do your
> requirement properly -- integrating with RealEstateManager or
> whatever.  I agree with you it would be a great feature, if it worked,
> unfortunately, by opening bigger and bigger every time, it actually
> creates the very problem it's trying to solve, forcing me to have to
> constantly resize it.

Is it a window title/border issue that creeps in when smart splitters are enabled?  Is it a bug in the builder failing to avoid increasing the window size by the border?

Given that there’s essentially one reader and one writer it should be pinpointable.  Why not write out its value to the transcript at each point?  And write out the window extent after reading SavedWindowExtent on expansion.

And sorry this is giving you grief.  It should give you joy.  Having the debugger open up the same size as last time is so much better than the default.  I had a lovely Friday using it.