[squeak-dev] Installing various versions of squeaksource is problematic

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 24 01:57:01 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 02:35:40PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> A while back I was asking about internal use monticello repositories and one suggestion I didn't have time to do much with was to install squeaksource; three options were pointed out
> squeaksource
> squeaksource3
> personalsqueaksource.
>
> I thought I'd give it a quick try to see what happens. All in all it wasn't a particularly successful attempt.

<snip>

> B) squeaksource
> There's also a SqueakMap entry for the old system. It didn't load either.
> Complaints about no #stable version etc
> I did see the ConfigurationOfSqueakSource and tried that but again, no
> stable version, no way I spotted to use any other named version that looked
>plausible. I suppose one shouldn't be too surprised since it is pretty old
> but it *is* the system we have as a main repository...

Assuming that the "old system" refers to what we now know as squeaksource.com,
then there is no real repository for the sources. It basically exists as a
long running image that has survived into the modern era, with some workspaces
that explain how the image originally came into existance, and how it has
subsequently been maintained in the intervening decades.

The source.squeak.org image is of newer vintage, and it is closely related
to (same as?) the personalsqueaksource version.

Dave