[squeak-dev] Installing various versions of squeaksource is problematic

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Aug 24 18:08:25 UTC 2019

> On 2019-08-23, at 6:57 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>
>> B) squeaksource
>> There's also a SqueakMap entry for the old system. It didn't load either.
>> Complaints about no #stable version etc
>> I did see the ConfigurationOfSqueakSource and tried that but again, no
>> stable version, no way I spotted to use any other named version that looked
>> plausible. I suppose one shouldn't be too surprised since it is pretty old
>> but it *is* the system we have as a main repository...
>>

> Assuming that the "old system" refers to what we now know as squeaksource.com,
> then there is no real repository for the sources. It basically exists as a
> long running image that has survived into the modern era, with some workspaces
> that explain how the image originally came into existance, and how it has
> subsequently been maintained in the intervening decades.

Yah; well, that's perhaps even worse than I remembered. I see someone balancing on a highwire over a raging river of lava, with lava-proof giant Piranha swimming hungrily below. And the wire is razor thin and the walkers feet are unprotected.

> The source.squeak.org image is of newer vintage, and it is closely related
> to (same as?) the personalsqueaksource version.

Ah, interesting. That one completely escaped my attention.

tim
Strange OpCodes: HBT: Harvest Binary Tree