[squeak-dev] Hubs delenda est and ESR's Cathedrak vs Bazzarr was: Re: Squeak6.0 alpha, install, add additional stuff--Metacello, Git, OSProcess, Grift, Malfeascance, etc fails due to smaltalkhub be bye-bye

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Wed Aug 5 01:10:19 UTC 2020

Hi Timothy,

The Internet Archive automatically offers BitTorrent for all of its
items.  And anyone can create an archive.org account and begin
uploading items.  Each item can be modified by its owner (uploaded,
metadata changed) via the Internet Archive APIs:

https://archive.org/services/docs/api/
http://blog.archive.org/developers/

The best example of these APIs in practice is the Python tool:

https://github.com/jjjake/internetarchive

(I used to work there and helped with some of the testing & debugging
of this tool, actually.)

I've sometimes dreamed of using Internet Archive items as Monticello
repos, which would be writable by their owner but read-only to the
rest of the world.  It could serve as a good place for cold storage.
I know Tigerbrew (a fork of Homebrew, a macOS package manager) uses
Internet Archive in this way:

https://archive.org/download/tigerbrew

I started writing an Internet Archive client in Squeak a few years
ago.  At Camp Smalltalk last year I released what I had, though very
unpolished and in need of better packaging for a proper release:

https://github.com/tcj/craggyaloofness

It's only capable of reading & downloading, not writing or modifying,
items (though the API and Python tool do offer that capability).
Nonetheless, it's fun (in my opinion) to be able to show the Byte
magazine cover via a one-liner:

(IAItem named: 'byte-magazine-1981-08' ) displayItemTileJpeg

The way I imagined using Internet Archive for long-term storage
of .mcz files would involve any interested developer creating an
archive.org account and then uploading some file to create an item.
That item would become the repo.   Then, additional files could be
uploaded to the item either through the archive.org web site, the API,
the Python tool, or a nonexistent Monticello repository
adapter.   :)   The developer could share the item name as the repo,
and Monticello could read from it.

Just dreaming aloud.

Best,
a Tim