Scroll events

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 18 18:17:49 UTC 2005

> Also didn't get an answer to:
> "So how do we know that the unicode value 0xB4 coming up from the VM on
> a keydown is a character or a VK_LAUNCH_MAIL key request?"

I didn't understand the question. First off, who is "we" (e.g., how do
"we" know) in the above? If you mean the user, then the answer is that
either we agree on the codes generated by the VM (such as the X11 key
sym defs) or that we will translate to a common code in the image (we
could translate into symbols, too, such as #LaunchMailKey). If you mean
the image, then it will most likely (assuming no common keys) by a table
stored with (C)Platform default translating the thing appropriately.

"how do we know that a value on a keyDown is a character or a key" - is
this correct english? (or Canadian ;-) I'm not sure I understand that.
It is by *definition* that KeyDown events describe *keys* and not
characters. Therefore there can be no question about this: keyDown
events must *always* be interpreted as keys and *never* as characters.

Cheers,
   - Andreas