[Webteam] the squeak.org issues list

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 14:43:33 UTC 2014

Backlog of change requests in no particular order:

Tim
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/webteam/2014-March/001384.html
Chris M.
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/webteam/2014-March/001392.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/webteam/2014-March/001399.html
Eliot
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/webteam/2014-March/001421.html
squeak.org issues:
- some image links are to chriscunnington.com
- zip resources for faster download
- use minified versions of files
- put 4.5 announcement between Welcome To Squeak and Take Part In The Innovation
- says 4.4 instead of 4.5
- get that 404 image (broken paper showing a code browser) out of my email Archive
- explore wrapbootstrap.com for ideas
- check multi platform layouts (i.e. cell phone, tablet)
Update Procedure:
I'm going to monopolize site update for the time being, as the update procedure is untried and specific to me.
When it settles down we can change it. It works as follows.

There is no in-server persistence. The persistence is Desktop persistence -- the master is on my desktop (backed up weekly; maybe I could put it in my Dropbox for people to access?).
I change the site in localhost. I then zip the image and changes files for FTP upload.
In /home/chriscunnington (someday I think we'll need a directory called /home/website) I execute a script called prepuploadediimage.sh. It looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
unzip squeak.org.zip
rm -rf __MACOSX
rm -rf /home/chriscunnington/squeak.org/.DS_Store
rm -rf squeak.org.zip
chmod 777 /home/chriscunnington/squeak.org/*
ln -s /usr/lib/squeak/sources/SqueakV41.sources /home/chriscunnington/squeak.org/SqueakV41.sources

There are two things to notice there, I'd say. The first is that the permissions are probably set too high.
If anybody has a preference other than 777 (that works), then I'll implement it.
The second thing is that Ken wanted to save space by having only one SqueakV41.sources file that people symlink to.
Once the new image is in place ( and I guess I missed the part where I delete the old image before uploading) I kill the website process, which at the moment is owned by me.
Daemontools restarts the process with the new image.

I'm going to review the homepage first and change the download link to 4.5.

Chris